Here’s something you don’t hear people talking about very often – pests. But here in South Louisiana, we see them all too often. There are many common insects that you may find in or around your Baton Rouge home, and whether they are inside or outdoors, there are ways to keep them from being a constant nuisance.
There are different types of insects that may invade your home and its surroundings, but each type has unique habits and your treatment for them will vary depending upon the insect you have to deal with. Most local pests are initially drawn to your home because they’re looking for food or shelter.
Here are some common insects that can be found in Baton Rouge, and how to get rid of them:
1. Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes can carry diseases including West Nile Virus, Encephalitis, Dengue Fever, Malaria, Yellow Fever, and more. They also come from stagnant water which is a common breeding ground around houses with backyard pools or ponds. Ways to get rid of mosquitoes include chemical sprays, citronella candles, removing standing water around your home, or using essential oils.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Buyer Resources
2. Cockroaches: Cockroaches can be frightening to find in your home. A common myth is that cockroaches only come out at night. Believe it or not, they can come out during the day too! There are many ways to get rid of them including insecticide, traps, and keeping your house clean.
3. Ants: Ants are known to eat just about anything. They are also attracted to sweet, greasy, and oily foods. They normally seek refuge indoors around water sources such as pipes or sinks. To get rid of these bugs, keep food sealed tightly where ants won’t be able to enter and clean up any crumbs quickly. There are also many types of ant traps are available at your local hardware store.
4. Silverfish: Silverfish are usually found in moist areas such as kitchens or bathrooms because that is where there is humidity. Humidity is generally high during the summer months so those places typically have a high silverfish population level. You can try to get rid of them with chemical sprays but it is difficult when they are coming from behind walls and insulation spaces. It’s best to leave this pest alone if you aren’t experiencing an infestation in your home, they generally don’t harm humans in any way.
5. Spiders: Spiders in Louisiana homes are extremely common. Spiders get into your home by getting in through small cracks and crevices on the exterior of your home, generally from trees or bushes. You can place sticky traps on the floor near where most spiders come in at night and you’ll catch many different varieties of local pests. Some spiders actually eat other bugs so if they show up which means there might be a nest nearby or another pest problem that needs to be addressed. If you have poisonous spiders around your house then call a professional.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Seller Resources
6. Centipedes and Millipedes: These bugs thrive off humid conditions inside your home so they will be attracted to leaks in certain areas of your house such as – around doors, windows, and roofs. With these pests, you can use caulk or sealant anywhere that there may be a chance for moisture to get into to help keep them away.
7. Termites: termites are something that everyone wants to prevent from getting into their homes because it is expensive if not handled quickly enough once the problem has been recognized. Termites eat wood but also love paper, cardboard, and other cellulose-based products. Outbuildings such as sheds and garages can be attractive homes for termites too because there is likely wood stored in these places which provides an unlimited supply of food for them. The best defense against these local pests is taking preventative measures early on.
8. Rodents: Rodents like to live in and around homes for food and shelter. They can get into tiny holes that people miss when sealing up the home. That is why it’s important not only to take measures ahead of time but inspect your house regularly to make sure there aren’t any cracks or other openings that these local pests could exploit.
How to Protect your Louisiana Home Against Local Pests:
Your home is one of your most valuable assets. Don’t wait until you have an infestation to protect it from pests! Follow these steps to protect your house:
- Make sure that there isn’t anything that’s attracting unwanted guests like open windows, potential plumbing problems, or ventilation issues.
- Remove all objects from around open windows especially those that do not get used much such as old plants and flower pots.
- Seal any cracks and openings. Make sure to caulk around windows, doors, pipes, and outlets. You can also use weather stripping to help keep bugs out.
- Contact a local pest control company!
It is always best to consult an experienced pest control professional before attempting any pest control techniques yourself using DIY products. If you’re looking for a local exterminator in or around Baton Rouge, reach out to Delta Pest Services. They offer family-friendly treatments, guaranteed services, and special offers to help you save money. Whether you’re looking to get rid of an infestation, or for preventative treatments, protect your home with help from a local company!
Leave a Reply